Tuesday, April 15

Out of Place

Last night my old roommate and I and a few other friends went to see Jimmy Eat World in concert. I was pretty excited about this, since I used to be obsessed with them in High School. I still like them, I still think they have great music, and I'm glad I was able to see them perform.
However, within the first few minutes of the concert I was quickly reminded of why I don't go to things like that. First of all, although I may only be 22, I felt too old, and too out of place to be excited about seeing them. Second of all, I paid to expose myself to acoustic trauma. In other words,I think I now have a perforated eardrum, meaning I'm on the verge of experiencing hearing loss. Just my luck, by the time I'm 30 I'll be wearing hearing aids. At this very moment, my ears are still ringing, they still feel really sensitive, and the thought of music makes them hurt even more. Third, if there is only one band you care to see, don't go on time. Not only will this save your eardrums from perforating, but you wont lose valuable time that is impossible to get back. And lastly, if you're a parent, don't take your 5 year old child to a concert. They'll end up needing hearing aids by the time they're 15. Buy them the CD instead, or better yet get them a babysitter. One more side note about parents at concerts...don't dance!

2 comments:

b.lowe said...

Amy, I was at the concert too! (And, strangely, I felt the same way you did...) My ears have never rung so much, and I did feel kinda old. weird. P.S. I found your blog through russ&katie's. I can't believe I have so many friends that blog!

Erin S said...

AMY!! I didn't know you had a blog! I heard you showed Michael around BYU the other weekend, I feel so old thinking that the twins are in college. Miss you!
Erin