Sunday, March 22

2:00:43

My heart was pounding, mind racing, and stomach churning, I was engulfed in a mixture of emotions; excitement/nervousness/anxiousness/with some slight thoughts of misery. I went to bed early, but woke up WAY too early too. There's nothing more annoying than waking up hours before you need to and not being able to fall back to sleep! My mind kept questioning whether or not I'd actually be able to run the entire 13.1 miles. As if my nightmares weren't enough to disprove my abilities, for an entire hour and a half before my alarm was supposed to go off, I laid in bed worrying myself sick.

By the time 6:30 rolled around, Andrea and I were already in the city, sitting in her car, waiting for the start of the race (yes, she's a trooper and woke up early on a Saturday morning to come cheer on her little sister). By 7 a.m. I think the sun was just coming up and the weather was a crisp 36 degrees. I was frozen for the first mile of my run and thawed out somewhere between mile 4 and 5. I thought mile 11 was never going to end, but my tired legs kept going, and eventually carried me across the finish line at 2:05:23...with adjusted time that meant I finished in two hours flat!

This picture doesn't do justice to the massive 8000 participants who ran in the National Marathon


I have a smile here (I'm on the left hand side in the black shorts), but does that smile last for 13 miles?

Yes, yes it does!
Two hours later! In my head I was sprinting my heart out to the finish line, somehow the video doesn't quite capture that.


Turning my chip in so I can get my actual time
There is nothing more attractive than a sweaty picture.
The end! Happy running day to us all!!!

11 comments:

carla thorup said...

Woo Woo!! Congrats girly! That time is amazing... I'm hoping to be right around the 2 hour mark as well. And I'm loving the braid :) I used to run with one, then my bangs got cut and it doesn't work anymore. {boo}

sweaty pictures are the best! Now I'm getting all nervous for ours, even though it's like 4 weeks away still. But still, that's so great for you! Way to be our example.

Xoxo Grandma said...

What a girl...so happy for you! You did terrific.

Lauren Kay said...

Congratulations! I wish I could have been there to cheer you on too!

AJ Candrian said...

Go Amy! Go Amy! Go Amy!!!!

Brittany said...

Amers -- I don't know how you do it, but you are awesome!

JD said...

well done, friend. knew you could do it!

Chelsea and Zachary said...

Woot Woot. Good work girl.

SJ said...

wow amy. you're so cool. i should have run with you more often, you superstar. mostly i like the alien cape they give you at the end of the race.

Rob said...

way to go mays! the actual race isn't so bad compared to the pre-race jitters, huh? so are you all recovered yet and planning your next one?
what in the world is that tarp thing everyone is wearing?

Clayton and Camea said...

Wow! Congrats! You're amazing! (I'm glad it was you and not me!)

Ashley Hall said...

I am so proud of you for doing that. You are amazing, definitely my inspiration. Some day I will do that...or at least that's what I keep telling myself.