Wednesday, January 20

356 Days Ago...

...I stood in front of the Capitol and watched a moment of history unfold, as our 44th president was sworn into office. The first black president for the United States. People were happy, people were excited, and people believe that "change" was on it's way. A year later, I don't think America is feeling that same way they felt 365 days ago. Am I surprised? Surprisingly, no!

...I had never left the Northern America region. Never flow across the Atlantic. And never been to another continent. Heck, I didn't even own a passport. 365 days later, six countries can be checked off my list...it's not much, but it's a start.

...I was wishing one of my siblings would have a baby so I could be an aunt. 365 days later I got not one, but two adorable nephews.

...I was thinking that I'm 23 years old and wanted my own bedroom. As much fun as it can be sharing a room with my older sister, it's much more fun to have a room to myself. So, 365 days later I have my own room, in a mansion, with five other girls. It may be the coldest room in the house, but at least it's my own.

...I was probably thinking I was in need of a vacation. I'm always in need of a vacation! 356 days later I've had more vacations, more adventures, and more good times than I ever could have imagined. I love making money!

...I was reflecting on my college days, and thinking that that I was just about to finish up my last semester of college, and couldn't wait to be done with homework forever! 365 days later, I'm beginning my first post-college graduate course. It's only one class, but it's a class nonetheless.

...I was driving an American made car with an obnoxious blinker. 365 days later, I proudly sport a 4Runner, my dream car (minus the fact that it doesn't have a sunroof). And yes, a worldly possession such as this makes me happy.

...I was still thinking that the boy from my computer lab days at BYU, who had a girlfriend, and lived far far away, was cute. 365 days later, I'm now his girlfriend, yet he still lives far far away. Go figure!

...I was longing to be at the beach. 365 days later, the longing is still there.

The past 365 days have been full of change, adventure, and excitement, but also full of disappointment, hardships, and a wake up call to reality. A lot can happen in 365 days. I can only imagine what the next 365 days will bring.

4 comments:

AJ Candrian said...

You started a graduate course? Well, that is sure news to me! Perhaps one day you can tell me all about it. :)

Quinn Cikaitoga said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Xoxo Grandma said...

Wait, you got to go to several beaches in Tanzania. Maybe you take after me, I always long to be at the beach! Seems like the year has flown by and a lot has happened...but I'm still longing for at least one child to live closer to us.

Brittany said...

Yes, indeed, a lot can happen in 365 days. Heck, a lot can happen in 30! By small and simple things are great things brought to pass--happens over and over again in shorter time than you can imagine!